Information for prospective tenants
All the information you need to know about applying for a tenancy and your responsibilities as a tenant.
search property now
Fees, deposits and references
A clear and concise overview of what you’ll need to pay at the start of your tenancy.
- References will be required from the current employer, previous landlord and possibly a bank and a character reference. A credit check carried out.
- An administration fee of £180.00 inclusive of VAT per tenant will be payable at the time of application for the tenancy. An additional fee of £30.00 including VAT is payable for overseas applicants requiring international referencing.
- Where a guarantor is required there will be a charge of £60.00 including VAT per guarantor application.
- A deposit is normally equivalent six weeks rent and is payable on the commencement of the tenancy and is refundable at the termination of the tenancy less any charges for damages or breach of contract etc. The Landlord may request a larger deposit in certain circumstances. The deposit will be held in our client account as stakeholder as security for the performance of the tenants obligations under the agreement. The deposit will be held in accordance with the terms detailed in the Tenancy Agreement.
When to pay your rent and what to do about overpaid or late rent
- The rent is payable monthly in advance by Standing Order mandate. Field Palmer will ask you to complete a standing order mandate which will be posted to the bank for processing.
- Any overpaid rent received will be refunded subject to a £30.00 including VAT administration charge.
Conditions of tenancy
Some of the standards that landords will expect of their tenants
- Due to social reasons the Landlords may request that no pets may be kept at the property. In the event permission is granted we reserve the right to increase the deposit held, and may wish to add a clause in the contract stating that the carpets must be professionally cleaned/treated after vacating.
- Landlords may also request that tenants are non-smokers, and any cleaning required to the property at the end of the tenancy due to smoke damage may be reclaimed from the deposit.
- The tenant on commencement of the lease will be responsible for the payment of utilities i.e. Council Tax, Water Rates, Gas and Electricity.
- The insurance of the building and the Landlords contents is the responsibility of the Landlord, however tenants may wish to protect themselves against accidental damage/loss to the Landlords belongings, as well as their own private belongings.
Extending or terminating your tenancy
What happens when you renew your contract or come to the end of your tenancy
- On vacating the property there will be a final inspection to ensure the property is left in a clean and tidy condition as it was on the commencement of the lease.
- Should Field Palmer prepare an extension of the original tenancy agreement, the tenant will be charged a fee of £60.00 including VAT.
- We must inform you that should you wish to terminate the tenancy early and the Landlord agrees, you will be responsible for paying the Landlord’s reasonable set up fees in securing a new tenant and the rent until a new tenancy begins or to the end of your agreement, whichever is the sooner.
- Any disputes or complaints will be referred to The Property Ombudsman and if you are dissatisfied with our services you should address your complaint to them at Milford House, 43-55 Milford Street, Salisbury SP1 2BP or telephone 01722 333306, or email email@example.com